The Diploma in Law is a legal qualification equivalent to a law school degree. It can provide entry to practice in all legal jurisdictions in Australia.
The Diploma is awarded by the Legal Profession Admission Board (LPAB) and is taught by the University of Sydney. Lectures are given by leading practitioners and academics at the Camperdown Campus in Sydney.
The aim of the course is to provide a readily accessible legal education and a flexible means of entry to the legal profession. It is designed to be especially suitable for part-time students, including country and interstate residents.
All lectures are delivered in the evening, with interactive seminars held across two weekends each semester. The lecture timetable is designed to give you the flexibility to work around a busy schedule. Lectures are held at the University of Sydney’s Camperdown Campus.
Most students will undertake a Diploma in Law via evening classes. These are generally run from 6–8.30pm or 9pm. Students can expect to attend one lecture per week, per subject. Distance students have access to tapes of these live lectures.
Weekend schools are designed to provide an opportunity for further discussion, revision and problem solving. Students will be allocated to seminar classes and all students, including distance students, are encouraged to attend in person.
Students have full access to the Sydney Law Library (the Herbert Smith Freehills Law Library) which includes:
- an extensive electronic reserve of legal materials
- legal research classes
- a specialist law librarian
- extended loan entitlements and the use of postal loan and photocopying services for students living outside Sydney
- 10 bookable meeting rooms with whiteboards and computers
- an exhibition space
- silent zones
- 24/7 access (with student card)
Students also have access to the on-line learning system Canvas where they can:
- download lecture slides and other resources;
- obtain and submit assignments;
- chat with other students through the discussion boards and conference tools.
Each semester runs for 14–15 weeks with a two-week break in the middle of the session.
Our next intake is for the Winter 2021 semester, with applications closing on 1 March 2021.
|Key dates (subject to change)||Winter 2021|
|Deadline for applications as a new student-at-law||1 March 2021|
|Enrolment period||19-30 April 2021|
|Orientation and Introductory classes (for ALL NEW STUDENTS)||8-9 May 2021|
|Legal Institutions Introductory weekend class||22-23 May 2021|
|Classes commence. This includes
– 13 weeks of evening lectures
– two-weekend schools (4-6 June/6-8 August)
– mid-semester study break (19 June – 4 July)
10 May to 16 August 2021
|Examinations period||2-9 September 2021|